Tuesday, May 14, 2013

4 days post op

The morning of surgery was....challenging.

1. My husband lost his wallet.
2. I forgot to pack my bag the night before in case I had to stay overnight.
3. I was still having regrets, and not wanting to do it.
4. When we arrived at one day surgery I realized I forgot to put my motion sickness on the back of my ear as instructed.

We arrived about 5:30 am. I was still dealing with the drinking of Magnesium from the day before. My husband is freaking because he thinks he forgot his wallet in a classroom the day before. About 7:15am, they call me back. I changed and the surgical nurse came and tried to put an IV in. Didn't work...and it hurt soooooo bad. I was crying. The anesthesia nurse came in and did it in one shot. But I was still crying. They went and got my mom to be with me a moment. My surgeon came in, told me to stop crying and that everything was going to be okay. Then my mom went to get Willie. Willie was upset that when they called me back, he was outside calling about his wallet. He stayed with me until about 9:30 when they wheeled me back. I was still crying. I remember the other nurse giving me something to relax in the elevator. I remember being in the OR, and then nothing until I woke up in recovery freaking out, saying I couldn't breathe. It was horrible. Luckily, I had a very nice recovery nurse, Agnes. She was so sweet, the little I remember. After some period of time, she wheeled me to a room. I remember her telling my new nurse, Brittany "Take care of my  beautiful child. I can't wait to see her in a few months. She is going to be a knockout with that beautiful hair and eyes." Brittany was also very sweet.
My mom left about 1:30pm, and my husband of course stayed the rest of the day, fielding calls from relatives and helping me. About 2:45pm, Dr. Dewitt came in, asked how I was doing. I was doing okay actually. No vomiting or even wanting to. I was in pain and had gas pain. I have 4 incisions. The only one that hurts is the biggest one, and I think that is where my port is. Dr. Dewitt said as soon as I did 8 laps I could go. And I did. By 6:30 I was ready to go. I was very impressed by all the hospital staff. 
We went by the pharmacy, got my scripts and went home. I got in the recliner because I couldn't' get on my sides. My husband slept on the couch beside me. All weekend he was very sweet and helpful, and never left my side. Over the weekend I got down maybe 2 popsicles and 1 jello and lots of water. Monday I had oatmeal, soup and mashed potatoes. All of which I kept down and did great. 
Last night, I had a lot of gas pains. I can sleep in the bed now. Still hurts to move around though. When I finally got good and comfortable it was time to wake up and go to work. Yes, I went to work. We don't have a large staff here, so when I am not here, that means one other person is having to work 12 hours. I think I may leave a 12, just because I am really uncomfortable. I have scheduled my follow up for May 29th.

I don't know how I feel about this. I am tired of the gas pains. I am down 18lbs. I could feel it when I put on my scrub pants this morning. I don't know, but I definitely do not want to eat. We will see in a couple of weeks I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment