Monday, January 7, 2013

Appointment made!!

On Thursday my aunt and I went to the Lap Band seminar by Dr. Dewitt. It was very informative, and made me feel like the surgery was, and is, my only option. The nurse, Lori, who heads up the insurance end told everyone to make sure you insurance covers bariatric surgery. Currently, I am on my own insurance at my work and having checked about a year ago, I was confident I was good. My aunt is an chief accountant at Blue Cross here is Alabama, and she told me to go online and double check. I did. And, I'm not covered. I was shocked. It was a change that occurred within the last few months. I was totally disappointed. I had planned to get on my husbands insurance anyway, so I checked his contract terms, and his does cover. But would it cover me? My aunt checked with BCBS, and they issued me a certificate that there would not be a waiting period, however I only had 30 days for the wedding to enroll with Willie's company. We were at day 20. My aunt also talked with the Chief Medical Officer about the risks of surgery. She stressed the risks and the important of realizing it is a life change. I'm ready. I don't want to be this way 3 years from now. She also went over the requirements: 1. Height and weight and consultation with bariatric surgeon. ( appt. made!) 2. 3 years of documented obesity (done!) 3. 6 months of doctor monitored diet (done!) 4. No smoking within 6 months of surgery (done!) My husband turned in our paperwork this morning, and I am paid with my insurance at my job until the end of the month, so there is no lapse in coverage. My appointment for my first consultation in January 29. Here we go... Hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment